Sunday, March 11, 2012

150 Is Just Right



In Robin Dunbar’s essay “You Gotta Have (150) Friends” he argues that we can only maintain around 150 meaningful relationships online and off. I agree with Dunbar because people can have hundreds if not thousands of friends on Facebook but when it comes down to it, no matter how many friends you have on Facebook your true friends are the ones you come into contact with and are able to have real face-to-face conversations with. A meaningful relationship is not limited to the people who mean the most to you, but someone you wish to keep close to your heart and remain in your life. That is why Dunbar says we can maintain 150 meaningful relationships while devoting most of our social time to the 5 most important people to us. If I were to delete the people on my Facebook who I did not have meaningful relationships with, keeping around 150 seems just about right.

No comments:

Post a Comment